Partnerships in the Arts

This year Westminster Canterbury Richmond and Weinstein JCC entered into a partnership to share the cultural arts. For nearly seventy years, the Weinstein JCC’s cultural and performing arts programming has brought the Richmond community exceptional events that celebrate essential aspects of Jewish and community culture. For ten years, the Sara Belle November Theater at Westminster Canterbury has brought its own array of exceptional performances to our residents and their guests.

Through the partnership, Westminster Canterbury is a Producer sponsor of the 2016-2017 season at Weinstein JCC. Small groups of our residents have attended events there, such as Lightwire Theater, An Evening with David Gregory and Jewish Family Theatre’s production of Company.

As the only Jewish theatre in the Richmond area, the Weinstein JCC’s Jewish Family Theatre produces and presents plays that connect Jews to their own cultural community and build bridges to others. As a true community theatre, the JFT operates on an all-volunteer base. Friends of all ages and ethnicities, from beginners to experienced pros, are invited to learn, enjoy and participate in all aspects of live theatre. As another part of our partnership, JFT brought selections from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat to Westminster Canterbury’s Sara Belle November Theater. The Biblical saga of Joseph and his coat of many colors comes to vibrant life in this delightful musical parable. Residents were thrilled by the talented young cast singing the greatest hits from this exciting show.

Westminster Canterbury’s theater is a place where residents and friends from all over campus come together to enjoy engaging performances, regardless of health or financial status. Partnerships with local community arts organizations are key to keeping our residents connected with groups they have enjoyed for years, such as the Richmond Ballet, Richmond Symphony, Virginia Opera and Virginia Repertory Theatre. Other residents discover a love of the arts for the first time after they move to our campus. 100% of the performance fees are paid for by charitable donations to Westminster Canterbury Foundation. Around 60% of those costs are covered by endowment, and the remaining 40% comes from individual show sponsorships. We are so grateful that generous donors make gifts of all sizes that make every show possible.

For more information on how you can support performing arts, contact Anita Adkins at aadkins@wcrichmond.org or (804) 264-6202.

Share with:

FacebookTwitterGoogleLinkedIn