COVID-19 Update-January 3, 2022
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO; and Will Blackwell, Vice President Health Services
SUBJECT: COVID-19 Update
DATE: January 3, 2022
As the level of community transmission of COVID-19 rises in our region, Westminster Canterbury Richmond is carefully monitoring the situation. Henrico County remains at a high level of community transmission of COVID-19. The current positivity rate is 20.9%. Unfortunately, there have been several breakthrough infections of COVID-19 in our community. We have learned that many other senior living communities in our region are experiencing similar challenges. We appreciate your support and understanding as we work to provide the best services possible under these challenging circumstances.
Current Employee Cases of COVID-19
A total of 40 employees have tested positive for COVID-19 since December 20 and are currently recovering in quarantine. They work in the following areas: Assisted Living, Child Development Center, Dining, Engineering, Housekeeping, Information Technology, Mary Morton Parsons Health Center, Resident Services and Security. When Westminster Canterbury learns of a new individual testing positive for COVID-19, contact tracing takes place and anyone who may have been exposed is contacted directly.
Current Resident Cases of COVID-19
Eight Independent Living residents and three Assisted Living residents have tested positive for COVID-19.
Mary Morton Parsons Health Center Closed to Visitation
Currently, 19 employees who work in Parsons Health Center have tested positive for COVID-19. Based on guidance from the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), due to the current outbreak of COVID-19, Parsons Health Center is closed to visitation beginning Tuesday, January 4. Compassionate visits may be scheduled by contacting your social worker:
Nicole Cole at (804) 264-6067 or email@example.com
Dawn Winecoff at (804) 264-6069 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All Parsons Health Center staff and residents will be tested according to VDH guidance. Residents of Third Floor East were tested on Sunday, January 2, and will be tested again on Sunday, January 9. The remaining residents will be tested today, Monday, January 3, and will be tested again on Sunday, January 10. Staff were tested on Thursday and Friday, December 30 and 31, and will be tested again on Thursday and Friday, January 6 and 7.
Based on guidance from VDH, due to the current outbreak of COVID-19, Assisted Living (Avalon, The Gables and Monticello) is also closed to visitation beginning Tuesday, January 4. Compassionate visits may be scheduled by contacting:
Avalon: Jennifer Kapel at (804) 261-5376 or email@example.com
The Gables and Monticello: Sloan Verlander at (804) 264-6275 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to Dining Services
Beginning with dinner this evening, the Marketplace will be closed for in-person dining. The Canterbury Room is temporarily closed for in-person dining and carryout. Meal delivery will be available. Please refer to the current menu for offerings and instructions on ordering.
COVID-19 Exposure or Symptoms
- If you are concerned that you have been exposed to someone who may be positive for COVID-19, please contact the Clinic at 264-6231 to arrange a time for testing.
- If you have any symptoms of illness, please stay home and contact your physician or the Clinic for testing.
Follow the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention
Westminster Canterbury follows the latest guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and VDH. Please protect yourself by following these recommendations.
- Be vaccinated for COVID-19 and get a booster shot when you are eligible. Encourage your friends and family to do the same.
- CMS recommends that everyone wear a mask in public, indoor settings.
- Avoid crowded spaces or spaces with poor ventilation or wear a mask in these spaces.
- Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer.
- Maintain social distancing of at least six feet.
- Follow CDC travel guidance.
- Follow quarantine guidance after exposure to someone with COVID-19.
- We encourage you to stay up to date with us online. Check the COVID-19 Update page and blog at www.WCRICHMOND.org.
- Westminster Canterbury Weekly is a live update that airs on our in-house TV970 station on Thursdays at 3 p.m. and other times as needed. Recordings are available on TV971 daily at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Summaries are available at www.WCRICHMOND.org. Please tune in to hear the latest news. Our next broadcast will be Thursday, January 6, and will be virtual only.
- Read The Westminster Canterbury Tales.
Thank you for your support as we work together to keep our community safe and healthy!