Memo-COVID-19 Update-November 20, 2020
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO; Will Blackwell, Vice President Health Services; Debra Jacobsen, Administrator Resident Services; and Sloan Verlander, Administrator Assisted Living
SUBJECT: COVID-19 Update
DATE: November 20, 2020
This has been a difficult week for the Westminster Canterbury Richmond family, but we are confident that our resilient community is on a path to brighter next steps.
Point Prevalence Survey
This week every resident and employee in all areas of living is being tested for COVID-19 through routine weekly testing and Thursday’s Point Prevalence Survey (PPS) with the National Guard. The goal is 100% participation to help us learn whether there are asymptomatic residents and employees who are infected with COVID-19 and to determine next steps. If you are a resident or employee who has not been tested yet, please make a plan to be tested as soon as possible.
• Independent Living residents may call the Clinic at ext. 6231 to schedule a time to be tested.
• Employees who are unable to be tested during the Point Prevalence Survey should be tested when they return to work. Please talk to your manager.
We hope to receive all results from this week’s testing by early next week. Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 will be contacted directly. We will share details at the Live Update on Tuesday, November 24.
We are deeply saddened that one of our residents who was being cared for in the hospital has passed away. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of this individual. Twenty-two residents have tested positive for COVID-19 in November. Three are from Independent Living. The rest are from Mary Morton Parsons Health Center. Four are being cared for in the hospital. One recovered. The rest are being cared for in our dedicated COVID-19 positive units.
Twenty-three employees have tested positive for COVID-19 in November from Parsons Health Center, Housekeeping, Engineering and Assisted Living. Anyone who may have been exposed to these employees has been contacted directly.
Westminster Canterbury follows the latest guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Virginia Department of Health (VDH) in our response. While visitation and many programs and services are currently suspended, we are prepared to reopen as soon as we are able and are working to get there in the safest possible ways. As we enter the holiday season, the latest advice discourages in-person gatherings with individuals outside your household. We encourage you to stay connected by phone or in virtual ways and to celebrate the holidays in our hearts.
Due to increasing spread of COVID-19 and the elevated danger this virus poses to nursing home residents, CMS recommends residents do not leave the nursing home for family gatherings and other non-medically necessary outings at this time. Simply leaving the nursing home puts the resident at risk. Further activities, such as attending large gatherings or interacting with individuals outside the resident’s household put the resident at greater risk. Parsons Health Center and Assisted Living residents who leave our community for any reason other than medically necessary appointments will be required to quarantine for 14 days upon return.
If you would like to schedule a FaceTime, Skype or Zoom with a Parsons Health Center or Assisted Living resident, please contact:
• Parsons Health Center First Floor – Lori Capers at (804) 264-6217 or email@example.com
• Parsons Health Center Third Floor – Hailey Kastetter at (804) 264-6266 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Parsons Health Center Second Floor – Lori Capers or Hailey Kastetter
• Avalon – Tina Shearer at (804) 264-6064 or email@example.com
• The Gables – Lynne Cook at (804) 200-1594 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Monticello – Sara Merchant at (804) 261-5269 or email@example.com
Follow the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention
We need your help following these guidelines to keep one another well.
• Wear a mask at all times when around others.
• Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer.
• Always maintain social distancing of at least six feet.
• Everyone must be screened before entering our community.
• Follow enhanced safety and disinfection recommendations from the CDC, CMS and VDH.
• Stay home if you do not feel well and contact your physician.
• Stay up-to-date with us online. Check the COVID-19 Update page and blog at www.WCRICHMOND.org.
• Live Update videos air on our in-house TV970. Recordings are available later on www.WCRICHMOND.org, www.facebook.com/wcrichmond or on TV971 daily at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Our next Live Update is Tuesday, November 24, at 3 p.m. There will be no Live Update on Thursday, November 26.
Thank you for your care and support!