Memo-COVID-19 Update-November 4, 2020
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO; and Will Blackwell, Vice President Health Services
SUBJECT: COVID-19 Update
DATE: November 4, 2020
We share the following updates about how the coronavirus pandemic is impacting our community. Westminster Canterbury Richmond follows the latest guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Virginia Department of Health (VDH) in our response.
Mary Morton Parsons Health Center
Today, November 4, Westminster Canterbury learned that a Dining employee from Parsons Health Center First Floor tested positive for COVID-19 during routine testing. Due to this new case, Parsons Health Center First Floor West residents are under quarantine until Tuesday, November 17, per guidelines from VDH. Communal dining and other activities in this area are suspended. If we receive additional positive test results, the date of quarantine may change.
Additionally, a private sitter from Parsons Health Center Third Floor tested positive for COVID-19. Those affected are being contacted directly.
Parsons Health Center continues to test employees weekly, per the guidelines from CMS and based on positivity rates in Henrico County. Due to these new cases, Parsons Health Center residents will also be tested.
Family visitation for all areas of Parsons Health Center is suspended until Thursday, November 19, except in end-of-life and compassionate care situations. If you have questions about visitation, please contact your social worker:
First Floor – Vicki Fowler at (804) 264-6067 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Second and Third Floors – Dawn Winecoff at (804) 264-6069 or email@example.com
If you would like to schedule a FaceTime, Skype or Zoom with a Parsons Health Center resident, please contact your recreation therapist:
• First Floor – Lori Capers at (804) 264-6217 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Second Floor – Kendra Spencer at (804) 261-5289 or email@example.com
• Third Floor – Hailey Kastetter at (804) 264-6266 or firstname.lastname@example.org
As we enter into the holiday season, we must consider the realities of the global pandemic and how they will affect our activities. It is critical that we continue to follow the core principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention that keep us safe. Westminster Canterbury is discouraging in-person holiday gatherings and meals beyond our current visitation guidelines. Parsons Health Center residents who leave campus for holiday gatherings will be required to quarantine for 14 days upon return. We will share more information in this week’s Live Update.
Tips from the Richmond City and Henrico County Health Districts include:
• If traveling for the holidays, drive your own vehicle to reduce exposure to the coronavirus.
• If using commercial or public transportation, avoid the busiest travel times. Travel during non-peak times when there are likely to be fewer people.
• Reconsider travel during the holiday season and consider holding special remote gatherings.
Follow the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention
These principles are key to keeping us safe and healthy. We must remain vigilant in following these guidelines.
• Wear a mask at all times when around others.
• Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer.
• Always maintain social distancing of at least six feet.
• Everyone must be screened before entering our community.
• Follow enhanced safety and disinfection recommendations from the CDC, CMS and VDH.
• Stay home if you do not feel well and contact your physician. Visitors will not be permitted to enter if they have any signs or symptoms of COVID-19.
Westminster Canterbury Richmond COVID-19 Case Summary
We are committed to continued transparency about our COVID-19 response and cases in our residents and staff. Since March, Westminster Canterbury has had confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a total of 15 residents and 37 employees. All residents have recovered. So far, 32 of the 37 employees have recovered, tested negative twice and returned to work.
• We encourage you to stay up-to-date with us online. Check the COVID-19 Update page at www.WCRICHMOND.org for what to expect when visiting our community and more.
• Live Update videos air on our in-house TV970 station on Thursdays at 3 p.m. and other times as needed. Recordings are available later on www.WCRICHMOND.org, www.facebook.com/wcrichmond or on TV971 daily at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.