Memo-COVID-19 Update-October 16, 2020
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO; Will Blackwell, Vice President Health Services; Windley Gravatt, Vice President Workforce Services
SUBJECT: COVID-19 Update
DATE: October 16, 2020
The coronavirus pandemic continues to affect the Westminster Canterbury Richmond community in different ways.
Child Development Center Update
On Thursday, October 15, Westminster Canterbury learned that a teacher who is also a parent in our Child Development Center tested positive for COVID-19. She and her child were last in the Child Development Center on Monday, October 12. They were tested due to potential exposure to a family member who tested positive. We are following guidance from the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and closing the Virtual Learning Classrooms and the Toddler Room until Tuesday, October 27. Unfortunately, six other employees and many children will not be able to attend the Child Development Center until this quarantine ends. Many of these children’s parents are employees who will need to stay home with children. Any employee or parent with children who may have been exposed has been notified directly.
Three additional employees remain off campus recovering, including two Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) from Mary Morton Parsons Health Center and one Security employee.
Mary Morton Parsons Health Center
Westminster Canterbury follows the latest guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and VDH. Because of this guidance, we will continue testing Parsons Health Center employees weekly.
Quarantine in Parsons Health Center First Floor ended Thursday, October 15. Family visitation resumed from 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Residents of Parsons Health Center Third Floor remain under quarantine until Thursday, October 22. If we receive additional positive results, dates may change. Unfortunately, this means that visitation is closed on Parsons Health Center Third Floor during the quarantine. No one may enter Parsons Health Center Third Floor except for essential staff.
Westminster Canterbury is open to family visitation in all other areas of living from 10 a.m.-9 p.m. daily. Nearly all visitation will be during these hours unless prearranged with Westminster Canterbury. As a reminder, please only visit one household per visit to our community. As circumstances change or positive cases of COVID-19 are confirmed, visitation guidelines in specific areas may change quickly. Please check www.WCRICHMOND.org for the latest information when planning your visit.
Follow the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention
These principles are key to keeping us safe and healthy. We must remain vigilant in following these guidelines.
• Wear a mask at all times when around others.
• Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer.
• Always maintain social distancing of at least six feet.
• Everyone must be screened before entering our community. Visitors receive a wristband.
• Follow enhanced safety and disinfection recommendations from the CDC, CMS and VDH.
• Stay home if you have any of these symptoms: fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or other new signs of illness. Visitors will not be permitted to enter if they have any signs or symptoms of COVID-19.
Westminster Canterbury Richmond COVID-19 Case Summary
We are committed to continued transparency about our COVID-19 response and cases in our residents and staff. Since March, Westminster Canterbury has had confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a total of 15 residents and 34 employees. All residents have recovered. So far, 30 of the 34 employees have recovered, tested negative twice and returned to work.
• We encourage you to stay up-to-date with us online. Check the COVID-19 Update page at www.WCRICHMOND.org for what to expect when visiting our community and more.
• The latest news and past updates are always available on our blog at www.WCRICHMOND.org.
• Live Update videos air on our in-house TV970 station on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3 p.m. and other times as needed. Recordings are available later on www.WCRICHMOND.org, www.facebook.com/wcrichmond or on TV971 daily at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.