Memo-COVID-19 Update-October 23, 2020
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO; Will Blackwell, Vice President Health Services; and Sloan Verlander, Administrator Assisted Living
SUBJECT: COVID-19 Update
DATE: October 23, 2020
Westminster Canterbury Richmond is pleased to provide the following updates.
Mary Morton Parsons Health Center
Residents of Parsons Health Center Third Floor came out of quarantine on Thursday, October 22. Family visitation resumed from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
All Parsons Health Center visitors are screened at the Avalon Entrance and should check in at the nurses station to sign the visitor logs upon arrival and departure. Visitation in residents’ rooms is limited to one person at a time to ensure social distancing. Children are only permitted if they are able to wear a mask and maintain proper social distancing. All visitors must maintain a social distance of six feet or more from your loved one and wear your mask at all times.
Reservations for groups of two or more may be scheduled in the Rice Assembly or outdoors by contacting Carrie Martin at (804) 264-6276 or email@example.com.
Westminster Canterbury follows the latest guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Virginia Department of Health (VDH). Because of this guidance, we have been testing employees in Parsons Health Center weekly. Since June, we have completed more than 3,300 COVID-19 tests on employees.
Residents in Assisted Living are doing well. If anyone presents with symptoms that resemble COVID-19, they are tested as a precaution. We are happy to report that so far, tests have returned negative. During family visitation, please ensure that visitors sign the log in your visitation area upon arrival and departure.
Westminster Canterbury is also open to family visitation in all other areas of living from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. Nearly all visitation will be during these hours unless prearranged with Westminster Canterbury. As a reminder, please visit only one household per visit to our community. Clergy are not able to visit at this time, except for end-of-life situations. As circumstances change or positive cases of COVID-19 are confirmed, visitation guidelines in specific areas may change quickly. Please check www.WCRICHMOND.org for the latest information when planning your visit.
Two employees, a Security employee and a Child Development Center teacher, remain off campus recovering from COVID-19. In the Child Development Center, the Virtual Learning Classrooms and Toddler Room are closed until Tuesday, October 27.
Follow the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention
These principles are key to keeping us safe and healthy. We must remain vigilant in following these guidelines.
• Wear a mask at all times when around others.
• Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer.
• Always maintain social distancing of at least six feet.
• Everyone must be screened before entering our community. Visitors receive a wristband.
• Follow enhanced safety and disinfection recommendations from the CDC, CMS and VDH.
• Stay home if you have any of these symptoms: fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or other new signs of illness. Visitors will not be permitted to enter if they have any signs or symptoms of COVID-19.
Westminster Canterbury Richmond COVID-19 Case Summary
We are committed to continued transparency about our COVID-19 response and cases in our residents and staff. Since March, Westminster Canterbury has had confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a total of 15 residents and 34 employees. All residents have recovered. So far, 32 of the 34 employees have recovered, tested negative twice and returned to work.
• We encourage you to stay up-to-date with us online. Check the COVID-19 Update page at www.WCRICHMOND.org for what to expect when visiting our community and more.
• The latest news and past updates are always available on our blog at www.WCRICHMOND.org.
• Live Update videos air on our in-house TV970 station on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3 p.m. and other times as needed. Recordings are available later on www.WCRICHMOND.org, www.facebook.com/wcrichmond or on TV971 daily at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.