Memo-COVID-19 Update-October 27, 2020
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO; Will Blackwell, Vice President Health Services; and Sloan Verlander, Administrator Assisted Living
SUBJECT: COVID-19 Update – Assisted Living Employee Tests Positive
DATE: October 27, 2020
Last night Westminster Canterbury Richmond learned that a nurse in the Avalon area of Assisted Living tested positive for COVID-19. This employee works 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. and last worked on Thursday, October 22. This employee does not have a high level of interaction with residents, so we anticipate that the exposure is minimal. We are actively tracing potential exposures. Those affected will be contacted directly by Assisted Living management.
Westminster Canterbury follows the latest guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Virginia Department of Health (VDH). Based on VDH guidance, only residents who have had contact with the employee will be asked to quarantine. Employees who may have been exposed are being tested.
Follow the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention
These principles are key to keeping us safe and healthy. We must remain vigilant in following these guidelines.
• Wear a mask at all times when around others.
• Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer.
• Always maintain social distancing of at least six feet.
• Everyone must be screened before entering our community.
• Follow enhanced safety and disinfection recommendations from the CDC, CMS and VDH.
• Stay home if you do not feel well and contact your physician. Visitors will not be permitted to enter if they have any signs or symptoms of COVID-19.
Westminster Canterbury Richmond COVID-19 Case Summary
We are committed to continued transparency about our COVID-19 response and cases in our residents and staff. Since March, Westminster Canterbury has had confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a total of 15 residents and 35 employees. All residents have recovered. So far, 32 of the 35 employees have recovered, tested negative twice and returned to work.
• We encourage you to stay up-to-date with us online. Check the COVID-19 Update page at www.WCRICHMOND.org for what to expect when visiting our community and more.
• Live Update videos air on our in-house TV970 station on Thursdays at 3 p.m. and other times as needed. Recordings are available later on www.WCRICHMOND.org, www.facebook.com/wcrichmond or on TV971 daily at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.