Memo-Positive COVID-19 Cases Update-August 13, 2020
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO; and Will Blackwell, Vice President Health Services
SUBJECT: New Positive COVID-19 Cases
DATE: August 13, 2020
Westminster Canterbury Richmond continues to discover cases of COVID-19 in our residents and employees. Since the beginning of August, three residents and two employees have been diagnosed with COVID-19. We are taking many precautions and following the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and Virginia Department of Health (VDH). We are committed to sharing the latest updates on our response and cases.
We cannot say enough how critically important it is to remain diligent in wearing masks, washing hands and practicing social distancing. These are the best ways to protect one another. All residents and employees should stay home if they do not feel well or have any symptoms of COVID-19 and contact their physician.
Mary Morton Parsons Health Center Update
Residents and staff of Parsons Health Center have been tested on an ongoing basis per the recommendations from CMS. Residents are monitored daily with temperature and symptoms screenings and checking lung sounds and oxygen levels. The following currently reside in the COVID-19 positive unit until they recover and receive two negative test results. This unit is closed to all residents and staff except the assigned care teams that only work in this area.
• August 8: Resident from Parsons Health Center Third Floor is asymptomatic and has received one negative test result.
• August 12: Two residents tested positive for COVID-19. Resident from Parsons Health Center Second Floor is currently showing symptoms. Second resident from Parsons Health Center Third Floor is asymptomatic.
• Avalon residents were under quarantine in their apartments for 14 days after exposure to an employee who tested positive for COVID-19, per guidelines from VDH. This quarantine ended on Tuesday, August 11.
Every employee is screened with questions and a temperature check upon arrival to campus, prior to reporting to work. The following employees were diagnosed with COVID-19 and are recovering in quarantine.
• July 23: Dining employee
• July 24: Housekeeping employee
• July 31: Certified Nursing Assistant-Medication Aide (CNA-MA) in Avalon
• August 7: Housekeeping employee on Parsons Health Center Second Floor
• August 10: Resident Services employee
Westminster Canterbury Richmond COVID-19 Cases Summary
Since March, Westminster Canterbury has had confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a total of 10 residents and 26 employees. Seven residents have recovered. Three Parsons Health Center residents are currently isolated in our COVID-19 positive unit. So far, 21 of the 26 employees have recovered, tested negative twice and returned to work. Five employees are still recovering in quarantine.
• The latest news and past updates are always available on our blog at www.WCRICHMOND.org.
• Live video updates air on our in-house TV970 station on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3 p.m. and other times as needed. Recordings are available later on www.WCRICHMOND.org, www.facebook.com/wcrichmond, or hourly on TV971 on campus.