Memo-COVID-19 Update-October 9, 2020
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO; Will Blackwell, Vice President Health Services; and Debra Jacobsen, Administrator Resident Services
SUBJECT: COVID-19 Update
DATE: October 9, 2020
On Tuesday, October 6, Westminster Canterbury Richmond learned that a Security employee tested positive for COVID-19. We expect that the risk of exposure is low, and anyone who may have encountered this employee was contacted directly.
On Friday, October 9, we learned that a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) on Mary Morton Parsons Health Center Third Floor tested positive for COVID-19. The employee is asymptomatic. Westminster Canterbury follows the latest guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Virginia Department of Health (VDH). Because of this guidance, we have been testing Parsons Health Center employees weekly. The positive result came from routine testing.
Mary Morton Parsons Health Center
Due to this exposure, residents of Parsons Health Center Third Floor will be tested for COVID-19 and are under quarantine until Thursday, October 22. Residents of Parsons Health Center First Floor are under quarantine until Thursday, October 15. If we receive additional positive results, dates may change. Unfortunately, this means that visitation is closed on Parsons Health Center First and Third Floors during the quarantine.
No one may enter Parsons Health Center First and Third Floors except for essential staff. If you are visiting Parsons Health Center Second Floor, please access the elevators from the Lower Level. The entry to the First Floor is closed. You may not pass through to access the Tower First Floor and Marketplace.
Westminster Canterbury is open to family visitation in all other areas of living from 10 a.m.-9 p.m. daily. Nearly all visitation will be during these hours unless prearranged with Westminster Canterbury. As a reminder, please only visit one household per visit to our community. As circumstances change or positive cases of COVID-19 are confirmed, visitation guidelines in specific areas may change quickly. Please check www.WCRICHMOND.org for the latest information when planning your visit.
Independent Living Overnight Visitation
Beginning Monday, October 12, overnight visitors will be permitted in Independent Living residences. The process for overnight visitation is different from the daily visitation occurring between 10 a.m.-9 p.m. This new process applies to all overnight visitation moving forward. Please review the Independent Living Overnight Visitation Guidelines for more details. Contact Resident Services at (804) 264-6082 if you have questions.
Follow the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention
• Wear a mask at all times when around others.
• Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer.
• Always maintain social distancing of at least six feet.
• Everyone must be screened before entering our community. Visitors receive a wristband.
• Follow enhanced safety and disinfection protocols based on CDC, CMS and VDH recommendations.
• Stay home if you have any of these symptoms: fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or other new signs of illness. Visitors will not be permitted to enter if they have any signs or symptoms of COVID-19.
Westminster Canterbury Richmond COVID-19 Case Summary
We are committed to continued transparency about our COVID-19 response and cases in our residents and staff. Since March, Westminster Canterbury has had confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a total of 15 residents and 33 employees. All residents have recovered. So far, 30 of the 33 employees have recovered, tested negative twice and returned to work.
• We encourage you to stay up-to-date with us online. Check the COVID-19 Update page at www.WCRICHMOND.org for what to expect when visiting our community and more.
• The latest news and past updates are always available on our blog at www.WCRICHMOND.org.
• Live Update videos air on our in-house TV970 station on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3 p.m. and other times as needed. Recordings are available later on www.WCRICHMOND.org, www.facebook.com/wcrichmond, or on TV971 daily at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.