Memo-New Positive COVID-19 Cases and Avalon Quarantine-August 17, 2020
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO; Will Blackwell, Vice President Health Services; Sloan Verlander, Administrator Assisted Living
SUBJECT: New Positive COVID-19 Cases and Avalon Quarantine
DATE: August 17, 2020
Westminster Canterbury Richmond continues to discover cases of COVID-19 in our residents and employees. We are taking many precautions and following the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and Virginia Department of Health (VDH). We are committed to sharing the latest updates on our response and cases.
On Monday, August 17, Westminster Canterbury Richmond learned that a Housekeeping Aide who worked on all floors of Avalon and Parsons Health Center First Floor tested positive for COVID-19. Due to this exposure, all Avalon residents are under quarantine in their apartments for 14 days from the date of exposure per guidelines from VDH. This quarantine will end on Saturday, August 29.
All meals will be served in residents’ rooms. All programming in Avalon is suspended until further notice. The Avalon Salon is closed. Safe, structured visitation with Avalon family members is suspended.
Residents will be monitored daily with temperature and symptoms screenings and checking lung sounds and oxygen levels. Anyone who exhibits symptoms will be tested for COVID-19. We are working with VDH on contact tracing and will update you as we learn more.
Mary Morton Parsons Health Center Update
Residents and staff of Parsons Health Center have been tested on an ongoing basis per the recommendations from CMS. We are pleased to share that the Parsons Health Center Third Floor resident who tested positive on August 8 has since recovered, received two negative test results and returned home on Friday, August 14. Unfortunately, on August 14, a Parsons Health Center First Floor resident tested positive and moved to the COVID-19 positive unit. Due to exposure to the Housekeeping employee, Parsons Health Center First Floor residents will dine in their rooms. All hallways will be closed. These additional precautions will end Tuesday, September 1.
The following currently reside in the COVID-19 positive unit until they recover and receive two negative test results. This unit is closed to all residents and staff except the assigned care teams that only work in this area.
• August 12: Two residents tested positive for COVID-19. Resident from Parsons Health Center Second Floor is currently showing symptoms. Resident from Parsons Health Center Third Floor is asymptomatic.
• August 14: Resident from Parsons Health Center First Floor tested positive and is asymptomatic.
Every employee is screened with questions and a temperature check upon arrival to campus, prior to reporting to work. The following employees were diagnosed with COVID-19 and are recovering in quarantine.
• July 23: Dining employee
• July 24: Housekeeping employee
• July 31: Certified Nursing Assistant-Medication Aide (CNA-MA) in Avalon
• August 7: Housekeeping employee on Parsons Health Center Second Floor
• August 10: Resident Services employee
• August 17: Housekeeping employee who worked on all floors of Avalon and Parsons Health Center First Floor
Westminster Canterbury Richmond COVID-19 Cases Summary
Since March, Westminster Canterbury has had confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a total of 11 residents and 27 employees. Eight residents have recovered. Three Parsons Health Center residents are currently isolated in our COVID-19 positive unit. So far, 21 of the 27 employees have recovered, tested negative twice and returned to work. Six employees are still recovering in quarantine.
We cannot say enough how critically important it is to remain diligent in wearing masks, washing hands and practicing social distancing. These are the best ways to protect one another. All residents and employees should stay home if they do not feel well or have any symptoms of COVID-19 and contact their physician.
• The latest news and past updates are always available on our blog at www.WCRICHMOND.org.
• Live video updates air on our in-house TV970 station on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3 p.m. and other times as needed. Recordings are available later on www.WCRICHMOND.org, www.facebook.com/wcrichmond, or hourly on TV971 on campus.