Memo-Positive COVID-19 Cases Update-July 31, 2020
FROM: John Burns, President and CEO, and Sloan Verlander, Administrator Assisted Living
SUBJECT: Avalon Employee Tests Positive for COVID-19
DATE: July 31, 2020
On Friday, July 31, Westminster Canterbury Richmond learned that a Certified Nursing Assistant-Medication Aide (CNA-MA) who worked the day shift in the Avalon area of Assisted Living has tested positive for COVID-19. This employee worked on all floors of Avalon.
Due to this exposure, beginning today, all Avalon residents are under quarantine in their apartments for 14 days from the date of exposure per guidelines from the Virginia Department of Health (VDH). This quarantine will end on Tuesday, August 11. All meals will be served in residents’ rooms. All programming in Avalon is suspended until further notice. The Avalon Salon is closed. Safe, structured visitation with Avalon family members is suspended. Residents will be monitored daily with temperature and symptoms screenings and checking lung sounds and oxygen levels. Anyone who exhibits symptoms will be tested for COVID-19. We are working with VDH on contact tracing and determining next steps and will update you next week as we learn more.
It is critically important to remain diligent in wearing masks, washing hands and practicing social distancing. All residents and employees are always encouraged to stay home if they do not feel well and have any symptoms of COVID-19.
Westminster Canterbury Richmond COVID-19 Cases Summary
Since March, Westminster Canterbury has had confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a total of seven residents and 24 employees. Two Parsons Health Center residents are currently infected and isolated in our COVID-19 positive unit. So far, 16 of the 24 employees have recovered, tested negative twice and are able to return to work. Eight employees are recovering in quarantine. A listing of residents and employees testing positive in July and continuing to recover follows.
Resident Cases in July
• July 8: Resident from Parsons Health Center Second Floor who is improving daily
• July 17: Resident from Parsons Health Center First Floor who has mild symptoms
Employee Cases in July
• July 13: Certified nursing assistant (CNA) who worked on Parsons Health Center Second Floor
• July 20: Genesis Rehab licensed physical therapy assistant (LPTA)
• July 22: CNA on Parsons Health Center Second Floor and overnight Security officer
• July 23: Dining employee
• July 24: Housekeeping employee
• July 31: Certified Nursing Assistant-Medication Aide (CNA-MA) in Avalon
• The latest news is always available on our blog at www.WCRICHMOND.org.
• Live video updates air on our in-house TV970 station on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3 p.m. and other times as needed. Recordings are available later on www.WCRICHMOND.org, www.facebook.com/wcrichmond, or hourly on TV971 on campus.